Friday, July 13, 2012

I have a confession

I really do need to confess this one thing.

Just one.

Only one to confess...yeah right

This is my confession. I don't really LIKE spiders.!! I mean I know that they are on this earth for a reason, but for the life of me I can't figure out what that might be.
Wanna know why??

As I remember it, it's because of my brother. Yeah someone else gave me this not like of spiders.

I don't care if they are small

or tiny

or BIG or

hairy or not.

I don't like them at all.

My brother was just like any other boy at that age. He must have been all of 10. Now you got to remember this is before the days of TV. 

And definately before the age of iPods, iPads, XBOX or anything like that. Heavens to Betsy!!!

We had 3 good stations on the one radio in the house.

So, us kids had to make out own entertainment. We would play soldier.  I had to be the nurse! And playing in the vacant lot gave us access to lots of things.

Obviously, I made a big thing of a spider at one time. In LA the tarantulas were HUGE---as I remember it. 

So one day he decides to throw one onto my person. I remember screaming------shrieking-------ummmmm-ing. Did I say SCREAMING.

Loud enough for all the mothers to come outside and see what was going on.

Yowza-----that was some big spider!!!!

Then, years later, I read a book. A book for business people or, I guess, really anyone. The most important thing I learned is ---------

We have to take responsibility for out actions.

Guess what I thought about?

You got it------that stupid spider.

Brother was not responsible for my reactions to spiders anymore. I was.

You notice I said-------WAS!!!!

I am no longer afraid of spiders.

Even though I don't like them, I don't get cold shivers every time I see one. I have even been known to step on one ----- deliberately to get it out of my way.

What a wonderful book. What a wonderful thing to remember. Because we ARE responsible for all of our actions and reactions whether good or bad.

I know we are never too old to learn. That one sentence has stayed with me for almost 10 years now. I am in charge of me. I make the decisions to like or dislike something. I am free to like or not like spiders. It's all up to me.

Guess what????? Jerry saw something in the room, right beside the computer. And YES it was a spider. I didn't even run from the room screaming--shrieking or anything else.

This is so liberating!!!!

More later, Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment