Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Speaking of BEANS

My dad's family never EVERY ate beans. The sure didn't eat black eyed peas.  All of those veggies were for cows to eat. They were not fit for human consumption. Were they wrong!!!

So where did this love of beans come from. I mean I have this viseral NEED for beans sometimes. I think it's a comfort. Soft, warm beans--or peas--just calm me right down.

That unfortunately was not the case when Jerry and I first met. As I said my family did NOT eat beans. Jerry is a Texan and they eat beans. RED beans.

So, he sent me to the grocery for some red beans. I found the RED kidney beans and brought them home and cooked them.  They were rock hard and had NO seasoning. So I am at the stove trying to get them to cook. And find something to make them taste good.

In he walks and I tell him they aren't ready.  That was ok because he was going to take a bath and study for a while. He was in college at that time.

Supper finally got ready and I was so proud of myself. I had cooked the beans, found something to make them taste good and they were ready to eat.

He took one bite and spit it out. What's wrong with these beans? He looked at the beans. Really looked at them and shouted-- There are maggots in these beans.

Well that couldn't be true because I took them out of the package and soaked them and cooked them that day. So I looked.

Sure enough there was something in there that looked like maggots.

We had a mystery there. A BIG one!!!

 After thorough investigation we found out what was wrong. The beans had sprouted and when they were cooked the beans split and the sprouts came out.

Problem solved.

NO!!!!

They didn't taste right.

I got red bens just like you said--I said.

These are NOT red beans--he said.

I got the bag. It said RED kidney beans on it. Right on the front of the package.!! DUH!! I got RED beans--I said!!

 LOUDLY!!!

We went to the grocery store.

He looked for the red beans. He picked up a package that had RED beans printed on it. He found a package just like I had gotten,  he kept looking and finally found some that looked right.

They were brown and speckled.

The package read---PINTO BEANS.

He bought the package and we had pinto beans the next day.

This is what finally decided, after years of experimenting, for seasoning of beans.

For every 2 pounds of beans
1 tablespoon of granulated garlic
1 tablespoon of oregano
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 tablespoon of parsley
And AFTER they cook add salt and pepper to taste.

Later about how to make them gas-less.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment