Friday, June 22, 2012

Communication

Sarah came to live with us in March of 2010.  I know it was 2010 because of all that life had put into our path.  Man what TWO years can bring.

I know that we are better for them because Jerry and I talk a lot more.

I know, I know. You are thinking "These people have been married for 50+ years. What's this about not talking."

Well, for 24 of those 50+ years he worked on an offshore rig somewhere in the world. Seventeen countries to  be exact. The kids and I went with him to England. He said for ONLY two years.

We stayed 6.

We went to Tunisia North Africa for just a little while.

Almost 5 years.

But the rest of the time he worked international, he was stuck on an offshore rig. In the middle of the Gulf of Suez, Gulf of Mexico, The North Sea, the Mediterranean and other places I can't remember right now.

Lots of good memories--but no way to talk to each other. No communication at all. He would call me from London and tell me what flight to meet. There wasn't even access to a phone for the longest. Then came the SATELLITE phones. Three minutes minimum and $10 a minute. Still didn't call much--too expensive and not reliable.

Then in 1994 we got a computer with FAX capability. WOO HOO!!! I could fax all I wanted. Just as long as I kept away from certain subjects. Because the radio guy got all the faxes and then he passed them on to the pusher and the other top guys. And THEN Jerry MIGHT get it. So you can understand why I stayed to really neutral subjects.

Then came cell phones. 

Our first cell was a honking big---HUGE ---bag phone. I have to tell you this!!! One day our other yorkie, Georgie--short for Georgina Jumping Flash--was in the van while I just ran into the Walmart to pick up a few things. It was December and rainy so she was alright.

I got back to the van and when I opened the door I hear the voice from the phone saying,"The number you have dialed is not a working number. Hang up and try again."

At least she didn't connect to someone in CHINA.

Now, TODAY, we hold computers in the palm of our hands.

TODAY we talk a lot. About EVERYTHING. Even those things I am not comfortable with. But that's life and that's the way it should be.

But I got off the subject of Sarah.  Well, THAT'S for tomorrow.

More Later, Linda

1 comment:

  1. We really do have a lot of ways to communicate these days. So many, that it is nice to unplug for a little while. I say that, but last year we went to Canada, and we girls turned our phones off so we wouldn't get charged some horible charges Well, I am here to tell you we were all about stir crazy from withdrawl...It really was funny. Hated not being able to find out what was going on in the world. I am an I-Phone aholic, and I admit it. I LOVE my phone.... Glad the world has made such advances and I am here to get to experience them. Just like our blogs.....I would never know all about you Linda and your family. Love it and you...keep on talkin....please!!!

    ReplyDelete