Saturday, August 11, 2012

I like to cook.

All my friends think I am crazy because I cook. I not only cook I like to change things up a little.

Part of that is because when we were first married I had to learn to make things tasty. Leftovers just are not the same as firsties.

So if you have some chicken--you debone it and make chicken salad, or chicken enchiladas, or make chicken ravioli, or Chicken spaghetti with red sauce. Or make a really tasty chicken Alfredo with onions and mushrooms.

Mushroom until Jerry got onto a plane once and had the Chicken Marsala with Mushroom sauce.

He was sooooooo sick!! There was nothing to do but spend the night in OKC so he could get it all out of his system. It still took a couple of days for him to get it completely out of his system. YUCK.

One time, when Lynn and Keith came over with Andrew--he was about 10--I was making pancakes. Jerry used to love pancakes. Now, not so much.

Anyway, I was in the middle of putting it all together so I could cook them. Andrew went and told his mom, "MOM I told you you could make pancakes at home!!!"

She always bought frozen when the kids where home. It is easier when moms work.
For killer pancakes, this is what I do,

For each cup of flour, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, melted butter, 2 tablespoons of baking powder, 1 1/2 cup milk, pinch of salt, and some maple syrup. I never measured the syrup. Probably just 1/4 cup.

Butter and canola oil in the skillet, bring it to hot, when water droplets sizzle as they touch the butter oil mix. Pour in batter, and cook slowly until batter has bubbles all over the top, then turn over and brown.

My dad was a short order cook at some point in his life and he taught me how to cook the perfect pancake. It has not failed me yet. But I put in all the other things.

We have people who specifically ask for pancakes when they know they will be here for breakfast.!! It makes a person proud to see people eat up.

Put butter on when they come from the pan. If you have to keep them for even a minute, cover with a clean cloth and put into the microwave. Don't turn it on, just use it as a safe, draft free place to keep the pancakes warm.

Manohman!!!

YUMMY!!

2 comments: