Friday, August 24, 2012

Brothers

I am the only girl in my family. And that's good. But there is a down side.

When you are the ONLY girl, you have to learn to do GUY things.

Like put the squirmy worm on the hook when you go fishing. You have to learn to suck it up when the gross talk starts at supper.

You know what I mean----when your brother starts to tell you about his friend Bobby who stepped on a nail and it went clear THROUGH the top of his foot.

Or he shows you his scab that's coming off and looks green and bloody and yucky.

But having brothers can also mean having someone who takes up for you. I remember one time when we lived in Culver City---which is now Universal Studios city.

Anyway I was playing on the foundations of some new homes----well, did you really think I got to be a tomboy without acting like a boy?!!

So there i was walking around these new foundations and having a good time. And I looked up and some boys, four to be exact, challenged me.

I ran, RAN home. Big brother Phil was there and he made me go back to show him what happened.

So I told him that the Williams brothers had thrown rocks at me. They had--so I told him.  We went back home. I felt better just knowing that Phil had gone with me.

I didn't know what he was planning----but the next day, he had some of his friends go to the same place and they rocked the Williams brothers BIG time.

So, because I can't remember if I ever did this ---- THANK YOU PHIL for taking up for me. Love you lots.

And when dad remarried, I got two more brothers. And I am thankful about that too.

It's been a good week.

More Later, Linda

 

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have such a wonderful brother. I am an only child, and just love to hear about others siblings. I have never regretted being an only, because I have nothing to compare it to. The older I get I can see where a brother or sister might be nice. But that just wasn't the plan for me. I ended up only having one child. Kinda sad, but he seems to deal with it about the same as me. Glad you had a good week. Love you girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you raised a pretty good "only girl" even with Dave and me picking on her! Enjoyed the story. Love you mom.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete