Monday, October 14, 2013

Wash Day part 2

When I was a kid I helped with the chores. My mom was only 4 foot 11 inches tall and that would limit her reach. One of my choirs was to help with the washing. We had a wringer washer. And for those of you who do not know what http://blog.simplelivingmadison.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wringer_washing_machine.jpga wringer washer is here's a picture. Now picture a person with short arms trying to pull the clothes from the water and put into the wringer. It was a choir and sometimes we both had to work on putting the clothes in and pulling them out. In a way it was fun because we were doing things together.

Then we had to put the clothes onto the clothesline.

Not easy when we did the sheets. Mom had to have a line that was close to the ground and so we had poles to put under the line to keep the clean clothes off the dirt.

Did I feel wanted. I don't know, but I do remember one time when I had to dust the books. My dad was a voracious reader and we had three bookcases FULL of books. When the books were dusted we had to take out EVERY book--open it -- dust the inside and the outside and put it aside until all the books were clean and then we had to put them back onto the shelf. I remember that I didn't put them back like they should have been.  I never had to do that chore again.

My life was not like kids today, but I felt needed.

Do the kids today feel needed?

I wonder,

More later, Linda







1 comment:

  1. I remember the wringer washer diapers wrapped around the wringer,If it does, an article of the wash may
    wrap several times around a roller before it is noticed; unwinding such a
    piece is often difficult, sometimes impossible without removing a roller .
    Its you're already happened

    ReplyDelete