Wednesday, August 21, 2019

NanaGBanana

A new name for a new start!
I've decided to put on this blog the things I left out of the book. Things about Phil and me--things about mom and dad--things that just make me smile.

When I was in kindergarten--where ever that was--we had swings. Not kiddie with the slings to sit on and the seats that have a back on them and a strap across the front to keep kids from falling off the swing. Nor did the people who pushed the swing just barely pushed the swing.

Back in 1944 or 45, when I was in kindergarten we had SWINGS. The girls who watched us as we were on the playground would push as high as we wanted to go. One day I remember telling that girl that I wanted to look over the top. I grabbed that rope and held on and she pushed and I saw over the top. 

Scared me spit less!

Once was enough. My stomach almost got the best of me. After that she taught me how to make the swing go. It's amazing how much co-ordination it takes to make a swing go. I still remember the euphoria I had when that swing went because I had learned how to make it go back and forth!! I had learned how to do something for myself! Then I started jumping out of the swing and landing on my feet. Another feeling of confidence. I had learned how to do something for myself. Talk about strutting back into the classroom.

Somewhere down the road, in a different school and probably second or third grade, I got in trouble for talking too much to the girl next to me. Yes, I admit that I like to talk; I learned how not to talk in the classroom that day. The teacher made me stand in the corner of the room, at the front of the room, and stand in the trash can. Believe it or not, I, to this day, do not talk in a class unless the teacher asks me a question.

In another school, this was in Dallas, fourth grade I think. Every morning our class had a time in the auditorium. In junior high, or middle school, it would be called homeroom. Well, that teacher was a wise woman and had us do things on that stage instead of just sitting there and causing trouble. It was the days of "I Love Lucy" and it was fun to replay some of the shows as we remembered. This is when I learned I was a clown at heart. I was Ethel. The sidekick. The one that was going to do what Lucy said no matter what.

Fun and a learning situation. Being in front of people does not bother me. Well, sometimes.


More tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment