Tuesday, August 20, 2019

NanaG or NanaBanana each Great Grand has given me a name.

One thing about being a Nana is that it's easy to say. Much much easier than- Grandmother how are you today?

When I was a kid we called my dad's mom Grams. I don't remember ever seeing mom's dad or mother. As I have gotten older I really want more than just pictures. Before my brother, Phil, passed he made this beautiful book that had a story type genealogy that included maps and family pictures. I would never attempt something like that. But with all that went on with us it really congeals the family. I knew my dad's family because we made that trip from LA to Dallas most every Christmas.
Most of the time we would start the trip on Christmas day or the day after.

On one trip I remember laying in the floor of the back seat of the car. We always would travel at night. I think because it was so very hot in the Mojave desert in the day so we go through at night. One time I woke up to LIGHTS--lots of lights! The next morning I asked dad about those lights and he tells me that was Las Vegas lights. I don't think we went back there again at night.

When we got to Dallas, we were at Grams and Gramps house. A big house with lots of room for us too. Now Grams was a very confident woman and she expected all of us who were in that house to help. It was time to get the chicken ready to cook.  It was my turn to help.

HELP!!!!

She was trying to teach me how to wring a chicken neck. She grabbed that chicken left hand held the chicken -- right hand had the neck.

SQUACK!!!

Then silence!

She put that chicken on the ground and it fluttered and rolled and finally died. She plucked that chicken til there was not a feather left.

I cried. Grams walked back into the house and made me wash that chicken. Then she taught me how to cut one up to fry.

She never said anything about my crying. And I learned the "how to" that I would need years later as I had a family to cook for. Whole chickens were all that we had when I first got married. It was cut that chicken up or roast it. My husband really preferred fried chicken.

My Grams was a great lady with lots of moxy and I really loved her.

More Tomorrow!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment