Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dirty Harry

We were watching Clint Eastwood last night in one of the Dirty Harry movies. Wanna know what I found the most disturbing??

At one point someone was murdered. (That's not what disturbed me). There was enough activity to know that a murder had been committed. BUT------

And this is what disturbed me. When the last gasp was heard, a white men's scarf fell to the floor. How do I know it was a man's scarf? Because the name LEE was embroidered onto the material.

Gently the scarf fell to the floor with almost a sensual appeal. And the---

The red spots started to multiply on the white silk.

That didn't bother me.

What disturbed me was this-----

We all knew that someone had died. There was no doubt in any one's mind that someone was no longer living. This movie was made in 1988.

In 2014---what do we see?  The neck is slashed and the blood gushes out from the wound into a huge pile of spreading blood. Or, we see another human slamming into the side of a building because the bullet went through him and the blood travels down their bodies until they fall to the ground in a heap.

What disturbs me is this---I knew what was going on in the 1988 movie. I didn't need to see all the blood and guts. My imagination showed me exactly what had happened to LEE.

What's is happening to the imagination of today's youth?

That's what disturbs me.

More later, Linda

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you Linda. Nothing is untouched anymore. Too bloody sometimes for me. I am a "chicken".

    ReplyDelete